Tuesday, August 26, 2014

recipe: small batch heavenly cocoa brownies

I wanted chocolate, but didn't want to share or eat a whole batch by myself
so I did a little math, quartering this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/cocoa-brownies-recipe/index.html (which I had never tried before)

Small Batch Cocoa Brownies (modified from Alton Brown recipe)

  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 ounces melted salted butter (1/2 stick)
  • 5 T cocoa (I used Trader Joe's)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 T flour
  • dash of sea salt
Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.  Grease or use cupcake liners in 4 openings of muffin tin
In a bowl, stir eggs thoroughly. add sugars and stir.  add all other ingredients and stir until almost smooth.
Pour the batter into the 4 muffin cups (will fill each about 2/3 to 3/4 full) bake for about 30 minutes*. Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean.  Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes before digging in!

These came out rich and moist, with a little bit of chewy/crispy around the edges.  If you like the crispy/chewy edges like I do, greasing the muffin cups would probably work better than paper liners.  They will come out a lot cleaner if you let them cool, but we all know how hard that is :)

* I used my convection toaster oven, would probably take longer in a regular oven


(that's a saucer/desert plate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment